The Best In Old School Roleplaying

The Best In Old School Roleplaying
Purchases support Gamers & Grognards

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Hump-day Hildebrandt and An Update On My Actual Gaming (gasp, shock, awe!)

So, the one thing that I've given myself time for over the past month, outside of writing and testing Goldenrod, is my Friday night game.  That's right, I'm running again.  After a hiatus from regular OSR style play while, Jon ran us through a Numenera campaign while I dealt with prepping for the U-Con OSR Track, starting Goldenrod and taking care of the holidays for my daughter, we have returned to my game.  Long time readers will remember that I've had a long running Castles & Crusades game using Frog God Games "Lost Lands" setting.  Primarily I've run the Stonerheart Valley mod, with the old Bard's Gate book and some Rappan Athuk thrown in for good measure.  We've seen a lot of players come and go.  Coming back to a campaign that is about to celebrate it's third birthday, which has actually been played most Fridays since it's advent (less the past 6 months off) we have gained another new player.  He's younger than most of us.  Slick Rick found him at work and invited him into the fold.  He has very little experience in gaming and what he has is all 3.5. His second session in saw him drawing two cards from the Deck of Many things, the first of which drained 10,000 XP and the second having his character under an Imprisonment spell deep below the surface of the earth.  In the third session he watch two characters die within several minutes of each other due to a magical poison with a save or die effect.  So yeah, his gotten his taste of a lethal old school play style and wants to come back for more, which is awesome.  

Also, I'd like to plug another thing for some guys.  If you're reading this you might already know that there's a new RPG podcast out there.  I'm talking about +Adam Muszkiewicz and +Donn Stroud's Drink Spin Run.  If you're not listening yet, click that link.  You'll dig what you hear.  It has something for everyone (that games.) Check it out, it's good stuff.

Until next time, this is pretty badass: