5% Of Sale Benefits Gamers & Grognards

5% Sales Go To Gamers & Grognards

Friday, November 8, 2013

Palace of the Vampire Queen

A couple of things.  First, update on The Black Book of Faust.  Due to some real life problems, work on this has been slowed to a crawl.  Still working, and re-reading what I have at the moment, but it's slow going. I  anticipate that I will have much more time after Thanksgiving to complete the playtests and the actual book!  

In the meantime I have had to dive into the material that I am using for my Swords & Wizardry games at U-Con.  I have most of my ducks in a row for my Swords & Wizardry/Arduin mash-up.  Everything is ready on my Swords & Wizardry Intro game, as it is the same as the one I ran at Barbecon in September.  Therefore, besides making pre-gens I am just going over Palace of the Vampire Queen, which I am running as my "Fall Classic" this year.  

I own a the Palace of the Vampire Queen - 9th Printing put out by Pacesetter games (which you can buy following the link.)  Now, I have some things to say about this.  As you likely know, this is the first module.  Before TSR made their first, Wee-Warriors put out this little treat.  In fact, if it wasn't for this piece of gaming history, there might be no modules or adventure paths today.  This is first, and they did some things RIGHT!  This module is so sand-boxy and open it isn't funny, and I like it.  It hands you a framework, and that is it.  Even the first TSR Modules are more fleshed out than this.  That is likely what it was marketed as an Adventure Kit.  That is to say, it gives you maps and some "meat" but leaves a lot open.  Multiple Judges could run this and all have a different adventure (albeit with similar encounters.)  Now, I'm not going to say much about what is in it (at least not before U-Con)  but I would urge anyone that likes a good sandbox, or anyone that likes to see the history and development of RPG's to pick this up.