5% Of Sale Benefits Gamers & Grognards

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hump-day Hildebrandt

There are two reasons that I chose to use the Hildebrandt's for my art feature on Gamers & Grognards.  First, their early are is some of the best "old school" and early rpg era fantasy and sci-fi art around (in my opinion.)  Second, the Middle Earth era art of these wonderful men was a VERY big influence on my early roleplaying.  When I was three years old my dad would show me his 70's era Hildebrandt Brothers "Lord of the Rings" calendars, which I think had a great deal to to with my love of fantasy as a genre and Middle Earth as a setting.  This carried on later in life and I consistently went to these images for campaign fodder in my earl career as a GM/Judge.  Therefore, for our first piece of art for "Hump-Day Hildebrandt" I give you one of my favorite all time fantasy paintings, and the painting that defined what any great demon should be (to me) "The Balrog":