Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Retrospective

2012 was a good year in the OSR.  We saw the release (and Kickstarting) of some great products, as well as well as a huge announcement regarding a certain upcoming magazine.  It was also my first year within the OSR Blogosphere.  I've had other blogs running for a while, but finally started working with my love of old school gaming.  I figure that on the first of the new year, and a day off of work, while I take a brief break from housework, it's time to recap a bit, as I have far more readers than I did in the beginning.  In fact, my early coverage of the TSR leak has lead the majority of my readers here, and so, most of you weren't even reading as late as three months ago.  So, without further ado, I give you what I believe to be some of the best of my 2012 posts.

I would have to say that one big thing that happened in the OSR is that one of our games actually got an SRD.  Thanks to John Reyst for his hard work on this:


Swords & Wizardry SRD

Brenden of Untimately's Top Ten Challenge  of which one or two things might change on my list, but for the most part it remains the same.

A look at my Appendix N which I still believe to be a good advertisement for any GM to loosely let players know what a campaign might be like.

My version of an Old School "Sorcerer" which was first created for Castles & Crusades, but I hope to post a Swords & Wizardry version sometime this winter:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Last but not least, as a favorite moment for me on the blog this year, was my conversation with Tim Kask, which I hope had clarified some things with the pre-mature leak of information regarding the new TSR:

A Conversation With Tim Kask

So there it is, some of my favorite moments on the blog this year.  I also enjoyed my retrospectives from various conventions, but did not post any as I failed to find the time to post about U-Con shortly after my return.

Thank you all for a great 2012 here at Gamers & Grognards.  I hope that 2013 will be an even better year.