Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Storm Over Baldur's Gate, D&D Next and OSR Compatability

An edition neutral module?  A NEW BOXED SET?  What is "Storm Over Baldur's Gate?" Support for all editions?  Support for Fifth Edition?  What in the Nine Hells is this guy going on about?  I'll tell you what.  I'm talking about Storm Over Baldur's Gate: Sundering Adventure 1.  What is that?  I don't think anyone is 100% sure on that at the moment, outside of WOTC employee's themselves.  Amazon.com has released this pre-order page for the product.  It is my belief that this is the first of the products that we were told at Gen Con would support the Next edition before it's release.  Even if I'm correct on that point, it still doesn't say much about what it runs on.  One thing I am pretty sure of is that it is not a 4E product.  It lists as a "D&D Adventure."  However it seems more than an adventure to me.  The product description is this:

"Baldur's Gate is a fantastic medieval city with a long and storied history -- a city on the verge of tearing itself asunder. Storm Over Baldur's Gate presents the city in the time of the Sundering, a period that will define the future of the Forgotten Realms. In addition to providing 64 pages of in-depth information on the city and its inhabitants, this product includes a harrowing 32-page adventure in which the player characters defend Baldur's Gate against an ancient evil long thought slain.

Storm Over Baldur's Gate allows characters to participate in important events connected to the Sundering and glimpse the future of the Forgotten Realms.

Components:
  64-page setting book describing Baldur's Gate and its inhabitants
  32-page adventure book
  Four-panel, foldout DM screen keyed to the adventure
  Illustrated folder"

Right out of the gate we can see that we have a city book included in this product.  There is also the Sundering era module, but along with the Screen and Folder, this sound a lot like a boxed set to me.  I will HOPE that this is a boxed set.  However, I will assume, until shown otherwise, that this set come (like many things today) in a slipcase.  That aside, a new boxed set would be really cool to see, especially if it were somehow compatible with older editions.  By that I mean, edition neutral or D&D Next.  If it were edition neutral it would have to present material that can be found in all editions of the game, which to my eyes does not seem that hard to do.  If it is a "Next" product, it should still (based upon what I have seen of playtest packets to date) be fairly easy to run on older editions.  Either way it may be a product that I would buy, if for nothing else  than the city book.  The chance of my buying it would increase if it were, in fact, a boxed set, as there is a clear lack of such products today.

Now I know that I have stated that I am not all that fond of the "Realms," but I mean that as the  "Realms" as written.  That is to say, with all of the lengthy cannon that has accrued through the years.  That said, I actually like some of the early FR products (TSR era) as well as the "Volo's Guide" series of fluff books.  I am also a great fan of the Baldur's Gate Video Games.  I do not think it is by happy chance that WOTC is planning to release this product in the wake of the re-release of the first Baldur's Gate game and close to the re-release of the second.  All of this said, we will have to wait and see, but I am currently hopeful for this product.