The Best In Old School Roleplaying

The Best In Old School Roleplaying
Purchases support Gamers & Grognards

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Michicon Weekend Report: Day 1

It has been almost three weeks since I began my adventures at Michicon.  I do believe that it is high time that I reported on this.

I took half a day off work to be able to get down for the early session of Castles & Crusades: The Rising Knight that I was running.  This was one of the few events running at 2:00 on Friday afternoon.  To be honest with everyone, I thought this one was going to be a complete bust.  My logic was that, since a majority of people work on Fridays, and this was an early games that I had listed as a "demo" not many people would show up. As it turned out, all of the spots at my table were filled.  At my table (I apologize, I don't remember most of your names.  post a comment and I'll add you in here for good measure, if you want to be publicly listed.  This is rather my fault for not providing a sign in sheet.)  At my table were a local who has played all of the editions, but is currently playing D20 (played half elf druid,)  a father and son team (who played a half elf cleric and half orc barbarian respectively,) another father/son team who just happen to play a Cub/Boy Scouts 1E game (who played a human fighter and half elf assassin,) and  a veteran player who currently plays 2E (playing an elven wizard.)  

I began by detailing the basics of how the Siege Engine works, followed by a bit of history (which became a discussion) of the game an Gary Gygax involvement with Troll Lord Games prior to his passing.  This then led to my explanation on the one house rule that I was using for my demo, that of the Big Purple D30.  This, of course, led to having to explain this rule, which led to explaining the OSR and giving out OSR pamphlets.  All of this attracted the attention of one Harry Schurr.  According to Harry, and from info I have dug up on him this seems to be true, he used to play with Dave Arneson in fantasy games before there was D&D.  Harry proceeded to hang around, though not play, during my sessions.  I house ruled that he could actually help out the younger players in the games I was running for the weekend.  Anyhow, the man who was running the 1E scouts game was highly interested in the OSR and so tool one of the pamphlets I had on hand with OSR sites listed.  He liked the idea of someone supporting the edition he chooses to run.  I liked that someone out there in my region of the world was running a game for a bunch of kids that was old school rather than first introducing them to the modern games.  

Anyway, after discussions were had and history of the game given (I allowed far to much time on both of these) we began the actual game sometime around 2:30 - 2:45.  I cut out a lot of the early role playing areas of the module, having run it at home, and having the players spends some 3 gaming sessions doing a bunch of things that don't really get them closer to the dungeon in this mod. (not that I'm complaining about the home game, I just can't spend that much time in a four hour demo!)  So the players searched about the village of Malforten for a bit with the clues that I had given them.  Looking for a lead on where to find Gritznak the Gnoll warlord.  Through studies of history and good common sense they determined They eventually came upon Kiint the Leper, who was able to lead them to an  a river ford south of the village.  To make a long story short, after two encounters the party reached an abandoned tower, which they presumed to have been the temple hideout they were looking for.  It was not, but they were given direction on where to go within the tower.  Eventually the party reached the dungeon proper, and so I do not give any spoilers regarding the campaign which I am chronicling on this blog, I will refrain from any description (as this is the same adventure  I am currently describing in the C&C Rappan Athuk posts.)  Needless to say, the party ended up defeating the evil within.

In the evening I was free to play, and so I signed up for Alan Meranda's "Pulp Nocturne" Savage Worlds game.  I was highly interested in this, as it was supposed to be something of a two-fisted Lovecraftian pulp adventure.  Yes, please.  Here is the description that drew me in:



Pulp Nocturne 1930 is a Cthulhu Horror role playing game set in 1930 New York
City that uses the fast, furious, fun Savage Worlds gaming system.
In the game your characters are investigating mysterious and strange horrific
incidents and crimes during the prohibition era. Gangsters have a bloody hand in
things as does the supernatural.
Add in some Realms of Cthulhu from Reality Blurs and Bureau 13 from Tri-Tac
Games and you have a feast of insanity, horror and mystery. 

This menagerie of gaming worked out fairly well, though I was not at my best "playing level" due to a lack of sleep the nigh before, and an early start at work to ensure I could get the latter half of the day off to get to the Con.  It was a fun bit of investigation, an the props that Alan used were great.  He actually had newsprint style papers out for us to gather our leads from.  Each story he created himself to tie to his home campaign.  It was a highly useful and good quality prop that impressed me greatly.  In the end we fought golden "statues" that possessed people (living and dead it seemed) and animals (Invasion of the Body Snatchers style)  All in all it was a fun experience and I plan to look into "Savage Worlds" further, as the system seems to be fairly open/light and solid.